Monday, January 12, 2009

The Libertines

The Libertines - Time for Heroes

(This post is a continuation of Adam trying name his favorite band)

There's no tangible explanation, but I have always had intense cinema connections with old men going through mid-life crises. Guys who have just one last shot, all or nothing: Murray in Rushmore, Spacey in American Beauty, Nicholson in The Shining and now Rourke in The Wrestler.



Nausea never felt so good.

If there's ever a movie made about me, I hope there's a montage where I'm 50 years old getting contentious on whiskey only to start a barroom brawl while the The Libertines roar off the jukebox. This would, of course, lead me to feel the hunger again. So I'd buy and old timey typewriter and train hop across the country, writing the only meaningful screenplay of my life. Normal people fantasize about this stuff right?

So when everyone condemns Pete Doherty for his rampant drug use and wasted potential, I say that's just rock and roll shit. Sure The Libertines burned out too soon, but that's what happens when you are raucous and heartfelt, honest and raw.

And if anyone has an interest in rock star worship/obsession, they should watch this mesmerizing piece on Doherty.

So in review:

1. It's never too late to get it back
2. Go see The Wrestler
3. Start a brawl
4. Doherty could have really been something, and maybe he still can

No comments: