Monday, January 12, 2009

From Thy Bounty, to Thy Terry

Unlike Lew Zealand, I do not have any paper towels. If that doesn't make sense, watch The Great Muppet Caper, one of the most underrated comedies of all time.

So I was in Target yesterday shopping for household staples such as automatic dish washing detergent and paper towels when I saw the price of the 12-pack of Bounty Select-a-size rolls: $17.99.

$17.99? That seemed unusually high to me. It struck me. Weren't they usually around $11? I could deal with less than a buck a roll especially since I'm a chronic hand-washer, and I like having a pristine, absorbent paper towel at my disposal. But well over a buck a roll seemed asinine, so I made a mental note of $17.99 and proceeded to the housewares section.

There I found a six pack of 12 x 12 inch dish towels for $2.99. So I bought 4 six packs for around $12, and began my new experiment: can I successfully substitute 36 dish towels for the convenience of a thousand paper towels? I think I can, but if the 36 fall short, I'm just going to buy more until I have a good, full, laundry-load's worth.

This is one small step for man, but one significant step for me. I have long considered the Bounty paper towel an indispensable kitchen necessity, and freak out a bit when I run out. If I don't already have OCD, I'm definitely borderline. Maybe I'm just a sanitation geek. So, I'll let you know how the 36 white, 12 x 12 dish towels work out. Now, all I need is a bidet. I guess I'll need a real job first to pay for it.

No comments: