Saturday, November 15, 2008

What's not exhausting?

Now is probably a good time to stop doing things that are absolutely exhausting just to think about. Or, maybe it's a good time to just stop thinking; wait for the outside pressure to come; welcome the unsolicited advice. (Pause) I don't get much unsolicited advice, do you? Is that a by-product of being relatively successful, a by-product of others being afraid to "interfere," or a by-product of others just not giving a shit about me? Some combination?

It's comforting to think that maybe it's a by-product of others just not knowing: what's right for you? What's right for them? Who's to say? I've been in the position to say, "Hey, man, don't do it," but I've stayed quiet because of uncertainty. Maybe that's for the best. Maybe certainty is more dangerous than fear. Maybe only as dangerous. Certainty got us into Iraq in 2003. If true knowledge is knowing that one knows nothing, than thinking that one knows something must be straight ignorance.

But back to what's not exhausting. This. Speaking to a potential audience. It beats sending out résumés. (long pause and gear shift) I hereby declare myself an artist. Here's a piece (peace) of me for ya. It wasn't exhausting to create. Not to say it was cake; just inevitable, fulfilling work. Let me know if you can't bear to not purchase a poster or t-shirt.


No comments: